All over the world, communities are being struck with the COVID-19 pandemic. With the CDC’s guidelines encouraging social distancing and staying at home, along with widespread business closures, it’s safe to say that times are changing. As we adjust to these new norms, you may be wondering where that leaves your smile. If you’re currently in orthodontic treatment, you may be unsure of how to proceed with your treatment in the absence of in-office appointments, while those who are just starting out on their smile journey, may feel discouraged from taking what could be the first step in their smile transformation. If this sounds relatable, we have great news! The team at Champlain Orthodontics is still here for you! We’re now offering virtual consultations so that we can continue to provide you with the excellent care you deserve. Nothing has to stand in the way of your dream smile!
Keep Your Treatment On Track With Virtual Visits
If you’re currently undergoing orthodontic treatment and have concerns that you might lose some of the progress you’ve made so far, worry no more! Our virtual visits are the perfect way to stay in touch with Dr. Ryan and Dr. Eaton and address any questions or concerns that may arise during the course of our office closures. Getting started is simple! All you have to do is take some quick photos, fill out some information, and send it to our office. Dr. Ryan or Dr. Eaton will look over your photos and get in touch with you about steps you can take to proceed with your treatment.
How They Work
It’s easy! First, you’ll take some pictures of your smile, following the step-by-step instructions on our virtual consultations page. Second, you’ll give us some basic information about your treatment along with a few photos showing your mouth from every angle.
Here are a few tips to help you get the perfect photo:
- Have someone take the photos for you, or use the self-timer on your camera
- Turn your flash on
- Be sure to ONLY photograph your teeth and mouth area
- Try your best to relax your face and avoid tensing up your cheek muscles
- Keep your teeth together and bite down hard, so the pictures are accurate
Taking Care of Your Teeth and Appliances
There are a few things to remember while you’re keeping up your treatment at home. While the rest of your routine may have changed, it will be crucial to maintain all of your regular oral hygiene habits and keep taking care of your appliances.
- Continue to wear aligners as directed by Dr. Ryan or Dr. Eaton.
- If you don’t have the upcoming aligner in the series, continue to wear the previous one for 15-18 hours a day until your next in-office appointment.
- If you lose or break an aligner, use the one just before it in the series.
- Continue to use any other equipment (such as elastics) as instructed by Dr. Ryan or Dr. Eaton.
- If you run out of aligners, don’t stop wearing them! Visit our virtual visits page and schedule an appointment so we can determine your next steps.
- Continue to wear elastics as directed by Dr. Ryan or Dr. Eaton. If you run out, let us know, and we can mail you more!
- If you have any wires poking out, you can apply a small ball of orthodontic wax to help relieve any discomfort until your next office visit. You may also trim the wire using a pair of nail clippers or small scissors.
- If you have a loose bracket, let us know, and we’ll fix it at your next in-office visit. Until then, you can try to gently slide the bracket back to the middle of your tooth.
- Avoid any and all foods that can damage your braces. This means sticky and crunchy foods, as well as anything else that would be considered too hard for braces to handle. This will help prevent any emergencies, and keep us all safe at home!
- And as always, keep your braces clean and free of food debris or plaque!
- Continue to do turns, as instructed by Dr. Ryan or Dr. Eaton.
- Schedule a virtual appointment to talk to us about the next steps!
- If you’ve lost or broken a retainer, contact the team at Champlain Orthodontics and we’ll talk about your next steps.
- If your bonded retainer has come loose, continue to wear your removable retainer full time until we are able to see you and either remove the broken portion or repair the area.
We’re Open For Emergencies
If you experience any kind of emergency related to your orthodontic treatment while our office is closed, we’re still here for you! We can talk you through your options to address the problem area or we can schedule a visit in the office with minimal staff for emergency treatment. To ensure your health and safety, we’ll make sure that you’re the only patient in the office and we’ll follow all necessary hygiene precautions, as recommended by the authorities. And as is our standard, we’ll adhere to the highest sanitation and disinfection practices. You have no reason to worry about any part of your treatment as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic together.
New Patients: Get Started with A Virtual Consultation
To get started, take some photos of your smile following the instructions on our virtual consultation page and the tips we’ve listed above. Then, tell us a little bit about your smile goals. That’s it – your part of the work is done!
Once we get your photos, Dr. Ryan or Dr. Eaton will review your teeth and determine what kind of treatment is the best fit for your smile, based on the goals you specified for treatment and needs. We offer a variety of treatments to patients of any age, including traditional metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign.
Our team will then work with you to figure out the complete cost of your treatment and how it will fit your budget. We accept most major insurance plans and offer payment plans. We’ll find a payment option that’s a perfect fit for your family and your budget. Finally, we’ll create a plan for your next steps once we are able to see you in the office. Since the situation is changing rapidly, we appreciate your patience and understanding as plans may potentially change.
Socially Distanced, Virtually Connected
As more cities and states put “Safer At Home” orders in place, our goal at Champlain Orthodontics is to stay connected and provide support for our current and future patients. By offering virtual consultations and appointments, we can prioritize both your smile and your safety as we each do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities. Virtual options link you, Dr. Ryan, Dr. Eaton, and the team so we can continue working on your dream smile, together.